School journey and personal accident insurance

Summary of cover and claims process.
Summary of cover



Policy number:


What it covers

All members of staff, pupils, school governors and volunteers who attend a school trip and for all activities carried out on the school site.

Policy runs:

From 30 - 29 June each year

  • Following a change in Insurer, school journey and personal accident cover have been combined under one policy
  • School journey cover is in place for all day and residential trips (both within, and outside of the UK).
  • There is no longer any need to complete ad-hoc proposal forms for school journey cover. Schools simply need to complete the ‘Termly Declaration Form’ to declare upcoming trips in a term and submit it to the Insurance Team at the start of that term.
  • Cover is also in place in respect of personal accident with a limit of £2.5 million which includes cover for death, loss of limbs, sight and hearing, permanent and temporary total disablement and personal injury. (This replacing the previous cover you may have held, supplied by Howden Group)
  • Full details of the extensive benefits available under the policy can be found on the following website:
  • We would recommend you downloaded the app found on this page

Claims Procedure

  • In the event of cancellation of a school trip, please contact the Insurance Team to pursue a claim.
  • We will forward you a claim form to complete which would need to be returned together with supporting documentation.
  • If you are on a trip abroad and need assistance, the policy offers a 24/7 emergency helpline. Please therefore call +44 (0) 1273 552 922. This will connect you to a dedicated call centre manned by multi-lingual staff who will be able to provide help to get the most appropriate medical treatment (if required) and to arrange payment of any medical bills direct with the hospital.
  • They will also be able to offer assistance for example with lost luggage
  • In respect of any claim for Personal Accident, please contact the Insurance Team for details on how to claim

Visit notification form approval

  • When arranging educational visits please refer to the Oxfordshire Outdoor Learning Service web pages. This provides vital information required in order to arrange such visits. 
  • Potentially hazardous visits/activities, and all visits abroad require a visit notification form to be completed and authorised by the Head of Establishment and trained EVC before they go ahead.
  • There is now no longer a need to forward this to the Insurance Team.
  • For further information please contact Nick Rose on 07818 035365 or email

Visiting third party land/property

  • Owners of property being visited must provide evidence that they hold £5 million public liability insurance as they may be held liable in the event of an accident which is proven to have been their fault (for example a pupil twisting their ankle in a pothole on the land).

Parental consent

  • Parental consent must be obtained where the pupils is aged 18 or under, before allowing the pupil to participate in any out of school activities.
  • This is to ensure parents are aware of any risks involved.