Important: The deadline to complete all processes for headteacher appraisal is 31 December each year.
Headteacher appraisal must be completed before 31 December each year to ensure pay recommendations can be made. However, it is good practice to undertake this process earlier in the school year, so that all teachers’ objectives can be linked to those of the headteacher. As teacher appraisal must be completed by 31 October each year, undertaking the headteacher appraisal before this date is recommended
The headteacher appraisal panel must be supported by a suitably skilled and/or experienced external adviser. An experienced adviser can be commissioned from the Learning and School Improvement Team to provide professional guidance through the headteacher appraisal process, ensuring that you have the appropriate support to make this a useful process for all involved.
Headteacher Appraisal Package A
The cost for Appraisal Package A is £650
- Provision of an experienced and qualified external adviser
- The adviser will review the information provided in advance of the meeting by the headteacher. This information should be provided by the headteacher and will include:
- Information to support the decisions about last year’s objectives
- Information to support the discussions around the objectives for the coming academic year
- Attendance at the ‘three-part meeting’ to review performance and to advise the panel as they set the objectives for the next year. These meetings will be with:
- The Headteacher and Adviser
- The Panel and Adviser
- The Headteacher, Panel and Adviser
Headteacher Appraisal Package B
The cost for the Appraisal Package B including document drafting is £750
- Includes all of Appraisal Package A
- Drafting of the appraisal review document, including the new objectives. This document will be forwarded to the Chair of the panel for any additions, amendments and adjustments before being sent to the headteacher for signing
The headteacher appraisal panel should organise at least one interim meeting during the appraisal cycle to consider the successes achieved, any barriers to progress and any additional support or development needs that might benefit the headteacher. This part of the cycle is not supported by the adviser. If additional support is needed for this, please contact Governor Services who will be able to discuss this, or any training needs, with you.
An invoice or internal recharge (for maintained schools) will be sent to the school once your appraisal date is confirmed.
To purchase one of the Headteacher Appraisal Packages, or to request further information, please contact Governor Services firstname.lastname@example.org