Please see the SENSS Local Offer pages for more information.
For further information on other SENSS teams, please also refer to the Local Offer pages.
What’s important to us, our values
We work in partnership to secure good outcomes and a positive future for children and young people with multi sensory impairment. Our aim is that children and young people with multi sensory impairment make good progress, achieve well and enjoy school, family and community life.
What we do
- provide family-focused support from the confirmation of multi sensory impairment
- support, advise and empower staff in schools and settings to understand the needs of children and young people with multi sensory impairment
- provide assessment and advice in relation to the child / young person’s multi sensory impairment
- ensure that the views, wishes, perspectives and experiences of the children and young people are fully reflected in their provision
- support children and young people to develop a positive understanding of their own multi sensory impairment
- carry out assessments in relation to specialist equipment
Who we offer this service to
We work with children and young people who have:
- a sensory difficulty which, together with hearing loss will impact on learning and communication
- a sensory difficulty which, together with vision loss will impact on learning and communication
How and when we do it
- we are a service which is available during school term time
- we work primarily in schools and educational settings, but also in homes, where necessary
- we have a range of professionals in our teams including specialist advisory teachers and communication support workers
- we work closely with SENCOs, class teachers, teaching assistants and other support staff in schools
- we liaise closely with families and we work collaboratively with other agencies involved with the child
- we provide advice, support, interventions and some direct teaching
- we offer a range of training from individual training around a child’s needs to whole school and area based specialist courses to support continuing professional development
SENSS staff work hard, in partnership with schools and families, to ensure that children with SEND are well supported. In doing this they are entitled to respect. SENSS will not tolerate rudeness or any behaviour toward staff that undermines them and we request that staff are treated with respect at all times. Thank you for your support in this.
How to contact us
SENSS Multi Sensory Impairment Team
Oxfordshire OX16 5AU
Telephone: 01865 816970
Comments and Complaints
If you wish to make a comment or complaint about the service, please contact SENSS by any of these phone numbers ( SENSS Central - 01865 323070, SENSS South - 01865 323070 SENSS North - 01865 816970 ) and ask to speak to a senior manager or email the service on email@example.com . Alternatively contact https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/content/comments-compliments-and-comp...
Monday to Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm. Term time only.
Please leave a message if no-one is available to take your call
Referrals can be made via a variety of routes. These can include:
- direct from paediatric audiology colleagues
- via professionals through the universal early years referral system known as SPORFI (Single Point of Request for Information)
- from schools
- from either the Hearing Impairment or Visual Impairment Team
- parents/carers who can contact the team for advice
We respect the need for confidentiality and the responsible and informed sharing of personal information. If there are concerns regarding a child’s safety we would, having, where possible, initially identified our concerns with the parents/ carers, liaise with Social Care in accordance with Oxfordshire’s Safeguarding Children procedures. https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/content/report-child-abuse
Comments and Complaints
If you wish to make a comment, give a compliment or make a complaint about the service, please contact SENSS by any of these phone numbers (SENSS Central - 01865 323070, SENSS South - 01865 323070 or SENSS North - 01865 816970) and ask to speak to a senior manager.