Recruiting and paying casual workers

Recruiting and paying casual workers

This page includes instructions on recruiting and paying new and existing casual workers using the IBC self-service tools.

There may be times when you need extra staff at short notice, to cover short term peaks in work or team absence.

Employing agency workers is expensive. Having a list of casual workers you can call on, is an efficient and cost effective way of flexing your staffing levels.

What is a casual worker?

Casual workers are employed on an irregular, ad-hoc basis. There is no obligation to offer them work and no obligation on their part to do the work offered.

Note 1: Casual workers will accrue employment rights if they work regularly over a long period. For example, if they work regularly for 12 weeks or more, they are legally entitled to a contract of employment.

Note 2: If you re-engage an existing casual who hasn’t worked for you in the last 12 weeks, please remember to recheck their DBS Certificate, preferably through the Update Service.  If your casual member of staff isn’t registered with the Update Service and you haven’t used them in the past 12 weeks, you should request a new DBS Certificate.

Casual workers can be..

Existing council employees who require a casual record to be set up

If an employee is doing casual work for their team, in their normal role, they can claim additional hours – they can record the additional hours on a casual claim form.

If an employee is doing work for a different team or in a different role, they will need a separate casual personnel number to claim payment. This is also required for employees who are due to leave the council and wish to have a casual record set up. 

Note: If the employee requires additional DBS checks the process to recruit a new casual worker (below) must be followed.

Employing new casual workers 

Once you have made sure your casual candidate is suitable follow the steps set out below:

All new casual employees will be subject to the standard pre-employments checks. These checks should be completed before the casual worker starts with the council.
Ideally the new casual should register with the DBS Update service when they receive their new DBS Certificate.  This will enable them to be DBS cleared instantly at any time in the future when there is a break between engagements. 
Failure to be registered with the update service means that they will need a new DBS check after a break in service of 3 months and cause a delay in them being available to work.

Inducting and managing casual workers

Casual workers must be inducted to ensure they:

  • understand the job and what is expected of them.
  • get to know the team they will be working in.
  • understand the organisation, our ways of working, policies and governance.
  • are familiar with the work place, the facilities and how to use the equipment.
  • understand their responsibilities for health and safety, information security and working for the council.
  • register for Employee Self-Service (ESS Lite) to access payslips and provide bank details. To register they will need their personnel number and National Insurance number. Once registered, casual staff will only use ESS Lite to view their payslips, update their information and make an HR enquiry.

Induction checklist for agency and casual workers (pdf format, 124Kb)

Paying casual workers

Casual workers are paid an hourly rate, at the normal rate (grade) for the job.  An additional amount is automatically included to cover the workers’ legal entitlement to holiday pay and this amount is shown on the individual’s payslip. See Green Book pay rates 2020/21 for basic hourly rates paid to casual employees. 

The additional amount paid for holiday entitlement is automatically added while the payroll is running – therefore the amount shown on the time entry form will be the normal rate of pay for the scale point selected. Note: Claims will be paid on a monthly basis, in arrears, via bank credit transfer. For example, a casual employee works a number of hours throughout June and submits their timesheet at the end of June.  These hours will need to be entered in the IBC for payment at the end of July.

Managers should enter the hours worked by the casual employee on a monthly basis by following the steps below:

Open IBC self-service, enter hours using the ‘Time Entry Tile’. Agree the hourly rate before they start work.

  • Ask the casual worker to fill in the Schools pay claim form (doc format, 135Kb) and return it to you.  You will need to keep a copy of this claim for audit purposes.
  • Make sure they know when they must submit their claim to get paid on time
  • When you receive the claim form and are ready to enter the hours worked go to the 'Time Entry' App (tile)  in IBC.
  • Ensure the worker knows how to view their payslip online through Employee Self-Service (ESS Lite). They will need their new personnel number and National Insurance number register for Employee Self-Service. Any queries they have about their pay should be raised using the online HR Enquiry form in IBC.
  • Further guidance is available on the Schools IBC Help pages, search for ‘Enter Time Worked’.

Casual workers leaving the council

Where a casual worker finishes working for the council, the school must notify IBC through an enquiry form. Make sure the casual worker returns any equipment and their ID badge.

Although there is no contract of employment with a casual worker, it is good practice to document their terms of engagement.

Please see template casual letters that can be used for all casual appointments:

IR35 responsibilities

From 6 April 2017 new responsibilities have come in to force for public sector organisations in relation to payments made to workers that operate through their own personal service or limited companies. You can find more information here

If you have workers that you currently pay via an invoice that you have assessed to fall under the IR35 rules, please follow the steps below:

  1. Email  for specific guidance.
  2. Once agreed and processed, IBC will set up a SAP personnel number.
  3. Once you have this SAP personnel number you can then action the payment through IBC.
  4. Enter the invoiced amount (excluding the VAT if they are VAT registered) in IBC under the ‘Casual Time Entry’ tile as a ‘Casual Sessional Pay’. The wage type to use will be 3774.
  5. The payment will then be made in next month’s payroll and subject to the tax and NI.

Please note - These casual records will be ended automatically from SAP if no claims have been made in 13 months.