Frameworks and guidance
Careers engagement: a good practice brief for leaders of schools and colleges
This recent guidance document was published for leaders on careers guidance delivery at schools and colleges. It provides a useful checklist for schools and colleges to audit their programmes and plan for development.
Careers Development Institute (CDI)
CDI, formerly ACEG, have a website with a wealth of information for professionals in Careers Education and Guidance. They have a detailed framework which can be accessed for free:
- A framework for careers and work related education (pdf format, 443Kb)
- A practical guide to using the framework (pdf format, 1.5Mb
- Why does employer engagement matter? A tool kit for managing employer activities in schools and colleges
CE have collected good practice case studies from around the country which are a great resource as well as having general information about school and college duties around CEIAG, explained simply.
Quality awards in CEIAG
Schools, Colleges and Work-Based Learning Providers, looking to achieve a quality award for their overall CEIAG programme of activities, which is professionally-driven and content specific, are invited to look at the QUALITY AWARDS for CEIAG. There are already over 1100 Schools, Colleges and WBL providers in England who either hold or are working towards a CEIAG Quality Award. See more about the background to quality awards on the Careers England website.
There are two awards that are available in Oxfordshire, both of which have achieved the Quality in Careers Standard which is a national recognition of its quality. The two awards are Careers Mark and Investor in Careers.
The process and costs may vary so you may want to explore each one to find out which one suits your organisations needs.
The Quality Careers Standard
The Quality in Careers Standard has been established as a national validation for England's dedicated CEIAG quality awards which accredit the four components of CEIAG. A summary by Paul Chubb, MBE (pdf format, 1.2Mb),
If you are looking for an professional IAG advisor the Careers Development Institute have a register of professionals who qualified and approved. You can search by region. CDI professionals register.
- National Careers Service - online, phone and webchat service for 13-18 year olds
- National Apprenticeship Service - resources for schools on apprenticeships and traineeships found here
- CEGNET - is an excellent resource for career and IAG professionals
- OXME Website - Oxfordshire's IAG website for young people
- Outstanding Careers - Careers Ed for All - great website with resources, news, hints and tips
- Access to the Professions - A group that raises the profile of professional careers with information and resources, as well as Professions Week