The Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) Programme Board has been re-configured under the chairmanship of Cllr Hilary Hibbert-Biles. Membership includes parents and high level strategic representatives from across education, health and care.
The Board is committed to:
- be the driving force behind the implementation of SEND reforms, ensuring pace and strategic direction
- provide oversight to the SEND Local Area Action Plan, incorporating the post inspection written statement of action as the body for ensuring it is delivered effectively
- monitor and challenge the pace of progress on actions within the SEND Local Area Action Plan
- receive reports and updated actions from work streams relating to the SEND Local Area Action Plan
- challenge and support the achievements of actions from the work streams
- be responsible for ensuring that the principle of co-production is embedded in all development work
- listen to the voice of children, young people and families to ensure that this supports and informs developments.
An outcome from the SEND Local Area Inspection, which took place at the end of September, was a requirement that we produce a Written Statement of Action (WSoA).
Board meetings are held monthly. Two have been held in which the focus has been the progress of the development of the WSoA. Many people are working very hard to ensure there are robust plans and actions in place to support both the development of the WSoA, but also wider activities which will impact on improving outcomes for children and young people with SEND in Oxfordshire.
The final draft of the WSoA must be submitted to Ofsted by 8 March. Once agreed, it will be published on the Local Offer.
Quarterly monitoring visits are taking place with representatives from the Department for Education and NHS who are providing support and challenge around the actions being taken. These will continue for the next year.
The Board would like to thank everyone for all that has been done so far and their continued commitment which is both valued and appreciated.