I am sure that you and all the staff and pupils at your schools are ready for a well earned break. It has been a busy few weeks and we are very grateful for all that you are doing to challenge and support. From a training perspective attendance continues to hit record levels. Since the beginning of September we have seen higher attendance levels than we saw in a complete academic year when delivering face to face and this has been achieved using a new booking system. Thank you, we hope that this thirst for knowledge and understanding translates into more effective governance.
Governor Services offers three stands of training for governors, trustees and committee representatives:
- The core package offered remotely through Microsoft Teams. This is available via a subscription or on a ‘pay to use’ basis.
- One-off Events which are free to all board members and are advertised separately through GovernorHub
- Free online Bitesize Training for board members to complete in your own time, available here: Governor Services Bitesize Training | Schools (oxfordshire.gov.uk)
For all maintained schools in Oxfordshire and academies using GovernorHub, training can be booked directly through GovernorHub. If your school subscribes to training there will be no additional charge. From November all other bookings will be charged on a ‘pay as you use’ basis. More details can be found here: Pay As You Use Costs
For schools with no access to GovernorHub, bookings can be made through Governor Services:
- By email to GovernorServices@Oxfordshire.gov.uk
- By phone on 03300 249046
Both of these methods will require a name and email address so the booking can be added to our online system and the joining link sent to you.
As you know each Monday we have been highlighting the courses that will run over the following two weeks. Sessions are NOT recorded unless this feature is stated in the description.
Tuesday 19th October - Safer Recruitment 6pm
This course provides training for governors if they wish to be involved in school recruitment or want to know more about recruiting in terms of the safeguarding of children.
It covers all aspects of the recruitment process and is run by the Education Safeguarding Advisory Team.
Due to the nature of this course, it contains upsetting information and firmly places safer recruitment in the context of the safeguarding of children. The training is valid for five years from completion and attendees must join the training on time to receive the certificate.
Thursday 21st October - Finance: budget construction and monitoring 7pm
This course will provide you with a sound introduction to school finances and budgeting, including information about:
- Funding streams
- Essential considerations when planning the budget
- Benchmarking sources
The evaluation of spending to ensure pupil impact and value for money.
Tuesday 2nd November - Benchmarking: What, where, how and why? 7pm
We hear that benchmarking is important, but:
- What is it?
- Where do boards get the information from?
- How do boards use it within their annual cycle of work?
- What impact can it have?
Join this practical course to learn about benchmarking and how it can support good decision making within your board.
Thursday 4th November - Fraud Awareness 6pm **Free to attend**
The aim of this session is to:
- Introduce the Counter Fraud Team and the service they provide.
- Outline the offences of fraud and how it could affect you in your role.
- Provide you with the tools to identify possible fraud and what to do if you suspect fraud offences are being committed.
Thursday 11th November - The Complaints Process 7pm
Every board should have several members with a good understanding of the complaints policy to ensure that, if needed, the process is as compliant and straight forward as possible. This course looks at the statutory responsibilities and best practice around complaints, aiming to improve governor confidence and effectiveness when dealing with complaints in school.
We look forward to seeing you.
Oxfordshire Governor Services