- Conversions update (xlsm format, 184Kb) - updated April 2019
- Map of open academies in Oxfordshire and their academy trust groupings (pdf format, 4Mb) - updated April 2019
If your Governing Body has already taken a decision to convert you will find useful information about the conversion process in the box on the right-hand side titled Conversion Guides.
The first three academies were established in Oxfordshire between 2007- 2010. ‘Conversions Update’ document above shows which schools have converted and those which are in the process of converting.
The Education and Adoption Bill 2015 sets out a continued commitment to the academies programme. It includes increased powers to convert schools which are deemed to be ‘coasting’, delegation of school improvement powers to the Regional Schools Commissioner and a commitment to provide 500 Free Schools (the term now covers any new school, including those required through house building programmes).
In this context the county council recognises that the diversity of educational provision in the county will continue to expand and has taken the opportunity to review its position on academy status. In October 2015 the county council cabinet agreed the following points:
- Adopt a more assertive policy in identifying appropriate sponsors for schools required to convert to academy status;
- Promote appropriate groupings to form new Multi-Academy Trusts and encourage the growth of existing Multi-Academy Trusts based in the county;
- Further develop and promote the collaborative company model both to incorporate more schools in these and to extend the scope of their pooling of resources and responsibility.
- Use collaborative companies as a ‘stepping stone’ to the formation of Multi-Academy Trusts.
The full document - Cabinet paper Strategic Groupings of Academies 2015-20
The items below are recent documents of interest.
- Oxfordshire County Council Academies Programme end of year report (pdf format, 1.33Mb) - updated 2017
- The March 2016 white paper setting out the government's vision for schools in England
- The role of Regional Schools Commissioners
- Essential School Maintenance – a guide for schools EFA guidance published Jan 2016
- House of Commons Education Committee Academies and free schools Fourth Report of Session 2014–15 (pdf format, 733Kb)
- Protocol for positive working practices June 2015 (pdf format, 473Kb)
Following consultation this document has been issued to all academies in Oxfordshire. It sets out a protocol for positive working practices between Oxfordshire County Council and academies in the county. The document above has been sent to academies in Oxfordshire for comment. This document sets out a protocol for positive working practices between Oxfordshire County Council and academies in the county.
- Academy chains performance report (.docx format, 363Kb)
Report by the Sutton Trust on Academy Chains performing above and below the mainstream average on the key measures of 2013 attainment and improvement for disadvantaged pupils - July 2014
- Academies and property transactions
Advice and forms from the DfE on a range of property matters for schools converting to academies.
- New TUPE guidance has been published by the Advisory, Concilliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS) - which aims to support employers dealing with TUPE law, including advice on when TUPE applies and how to correctly approach process and information requirements - June 2014.
- DfE Governance Handbook 2017 - Updated April 2017. Departmental advice for governing bodies in maintained, academy and free schools.
- Academies admissions appeals review 2013- A review of complaints received by the Education Funding Agency about academy admissions appeals.
- Academy exemplar policies - a series of model policies from DfE based on real policies being used by academies re pay and curriculum.
- Education Sevices Grant (ESG) - a guide to changes for the academic year 2015 to 2016 (supplementary note) The Department for Education (DfE) announced changes to the ESG for the 2015 to 2016 academic year. This note provides additional information for academies and free schools and explains how the tapered protection works.
- The National Audit Office report on the value for money of the establishment of Free Schools
- DfE announcement that academies are now eligible to apply directly to Salix for energy efficiency projects -
This is separate to our own allocation for maintained schools.
- Key Academy Principles and Policy Statements 2012 (pdf format, 146Kb)
This Cabinet paper (17 July 2012) details a policy statement regarding academies, key principles and the project approach needed to implement the policy and principles.
- NFER academy publications
- Browne Jacobson guidance for senior leaders considering whether to form or join federations or multi academy trusts
- National College for School Leadership academies online resource
- Department for Education – Academies pages
Mobile: 07826 950512
Academies Project Support Officer
Mobile: 07920 084517