For more information about other SENSS teams please refer to our local offer pages.
What’s important to us, our values?
We work in partnership to identify ways in which technology can support access to the curriculum and/or aid communication for children and young people. Our aim is that children and young people make good progress, achieve well and enjoy school, family and community life.
What we do
We provide an outreach service in the child/young person’s school or home. This service includes:
- carrying out assessments to ascertain how ICT can be used to support a child/young person’s access to the curriculum
- carrying out assessments to ascertain how ICT can be used to support a child/young person’s communication needs
- providing comprehensive reports which explain how technology can support the child/young person, identifying the management and training implications
- ensuring that the views, wishes, perspectives and experiences of the child/young person are fully reflected in the provision
- providing training for children/young people, families and schools in the use of specialist equipment such as Eye-Gaze and switch access and specialist software such as Dolphin’s Supernova software
- offering general advice and information to parents, schools and support agencies about hardware, software and support with communication
- on-going monitoring and reviewing of the child/young person’s equipment and ICT/Communication needs when appropriate
Who we offer this service to
We work with children and young people who have difficulty in communicating with others and/or accessing the curriculum without the use of specialist ICT resources
How and when we do it
- we are a service which is available during school term time
- we work primarily in schools and educational settings, but also in homes, where necessary
- we work with a range of professionals including specialist advisory teachers and highly specialist centres with expertise in Alternative and Augmentative Communication
- we work closely with SENCOs, class teachers, teaching assistants and other support staff in schools
- we liaise closely with families and we work collaboratively with other agencies involved with the child
- we provide advice, support and interventions
- we offer a range of training from individual training around a child/young person’s needs to whole school and specialist courses to support continuing professional development
SEN Support Services
The Wheatley Centre
Telephone: 01865 456740 / 01865 456728
Monday to Friday 8.30am - 4.30am. Term-time only.
A referral to the SEN-ICT-AAC Team can be made when the following criteria apply:
- a pupil has a difficulty in communicating with others and/or accessing the curriculum without the use of specialist ICT resources
- school ICT resources and/or low-tech communication strategies have been trialled and their use has been fully evaluated in conjunction with School staff, SENSS staff and/or a therapist.
Referrals are usually made by the SENCO at the school or the pupil’s Speech and Language Therapist. You can download a referral form (pdf format, 465KB) or it can be sent out on request.
Parent/Carer permission to share information should be obtained before a referral is made