Data is collected three times a year – Autumn (October); Spring (January) and Summer (May).
The information collected is used by the Department for Education (DfE) in the calculation of the Dedicated Schools Grant and the Pupil Premium funding allocations.
Data collected includes general pupil characteristic information such as gender, free school meal eligibility, Special Needs, ethnicity and language. Termly absence and attendance data is also collected and this contributes to the published School Performance tables.
Academies please note that the Local Authority (LA) is not able to see or assist with your School Census. Academies with any questions relating to completing the school census should contact the DfE helpdesk on 01325 392626 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Census dates for 2019/20 academic year
- Autumn - Thurs 3 October 2019
- Spring - Thurs 16 January 2020
- Summer - Thurs 21 May 2020
Please upload your census by the LA deadline which is the Wednesday after the above dates. This gives the LA time to meet the DfE deadline which follows.
DfE guidance 2019/20
Returning the School Census via COLLECT:
School to School (s2s): DfE’s secure data transfer system
- School to School log in page is via the DfE's Secure Access site
- Handbook for s2s for schools and FAQs
- Please note that key stage results from pupils transferring to your school may be available on key to success website
First language other than English
The following files will help you identify the languages you are looking for: