For more information about other SENSS teams please refer to our local offer pages.
What’s important to us (our values)?
We work in partnership to secure good outcomes and a positive future for children and young people with physical disabilities.
Our aim is that children and young people with physical disabilities make good progress, achieve well and enjoy school, family and community life.
What we do
- Support, advise and empower staff in schools and settings to understand the needs of children and young people with physical disabilities.
- Provide assessment and advice in relation to the child / young person’s physical disability.
- Ensure that the views, wishes, perspectives and experiences of the children and young people are fully reflected in their provision.
- Support children and young people to develop a positive understanding of their physical disability.
- Carry out assessments in relation to specialist equipment.
- Make specialist provision for children with particular needs in a specialist Resources Base attached to a mainstream secondary school.
Who we offer this service to
We work with children and young people with:
- Physical Disabilities
How and when we do it
- We are a service which is available during school term time.
- We work primarily in schools and educational settings, but also in homes, where necessary.
- We work with a range of professionals including specialist advisory teachers and therapists.
- We work closely with SENCOs, class teachers, teaching assistants and other support staff in schools.
- We liaise closely with families and we work collaboratively with other agencies involved with the child.
- We provide advice, support and interventions.
- We offer a range of training from individual training around a child’s needs to whole school and area based specialist courses to support continuing professional development
Referral required? Yes
Referrals can be made via a variety of routes. These can include:
- Direct from health colleagues
- Via professionals through the universal early years referral system known as SPORFI (Single Point of Request for Information)
- From schools
- Parents/carers can contact the service for advice
We respect the need for confidentiality and the responsible and informed sharing of personal information. If there are concerns regarding a child’s safety we would, having, where possible, initially identified our concerns with the parents/ carers, liaise with Social Care in accordance with Oxfordshire’s Safeguarding Children procedures. https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/content/report-child-abuse
Comments and Complaints
If you wish to make a comment or complaint about the service, please contact SENSS by any of these phone numbers (SENSS Central or South - 01865 323070 or SENSS North - 01865 816970) and ask to speak to a senior manager. Or you can email the service at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively use the council's main comments and complaints service