All schools except academies must notify us of the Headteacher’s resignation as soon as possible by contacting Governor Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or School Improvement at email@example.com.
Support for recruiting a new Head Teacher
Governing bodies are reminded that we in OCC Schools & Learning continue to provide support for both maintained schools and academies when the time comes for you to appoint a new head teacher. The key elements are:
- A two hour in-house training session for your governing body, covering the legal and practical implications, including timing, the job and person specifications, advertising, shortlisting, selection activities and interview questioning techniques. Training is delivered by an experienced member of the School Improvement team or Governor Services teams.
- Professional support and advice for your governing body’s appointment panel during shortlisting and interviewing from one of our School Improvement Leaders (for maintained schools this is a requirement).
The council will also provide/commission attendance at Headteacher interviews in maintained schools free of charge to schools. This may be an attendee from a partner organisation. Schools can buy support for the Headteacher recruitment process.
As it is essential to make the most of the short time between receiving notice from your current head and the desired start date for your new appointment, we strongly suggest that governing bodies should notify us as soon as they are aware of the impending vacancy.
Governing Body briefing / training
Governor briefing / training is essential preparation, to ensure there is a shared understanding of the process, governors’ statutory duties, and to provide advice on job specification / person specification, advertising, shortlisting and selection activities. As well as all appointment panel members, we strongly recommend that the other governors attend this session, so that governors understand what they are delegating to the panel. For church schools, a diocesan adviser will usually also support this briefing.
This session can be purchased by all maintained schools in Oxfordshire, and academies at a cost of £600 - see contact details above.
Recruitment and selection of headteachers
The following gives information and advice specifically on recruiting headteachers but the principles and method can be applied to any appointment.
Most of the documents that follow are designed to be amended so that they are suitable for your own specific process.
Planning and preparation
- A guide to recruiting and selecting a new headteacher (pdf format, 274KB)
- National Standards for Headteachers (pdf format, 143KB)
- Safeguarding and safer recruitment (pdf format, 1MB)
- Guidance on managing staff employment in schools (pdf format, 633KB)
- A marketing approach to headteacher recruitment (pdf format, 213KB)
- Draft Selection Criteria Primary (doc format, 46KB)
- Draft Selection Criteria Secondary (pdf format, 114KB)
- Draft Selection Criteria Special (pdf format, 115KB)
- Please refer to the current School Teachers' Pay and Conditions document on the website for the Department for Education.
- Draft job description for primary head (pdf format, 127KB)
School Description and safeguarding statement for pack
- School Description Primary (doc format, 28KB)
- School Description Secondary (doc format, 46KB)
- School Description Special (doc format, 35KB)
- Suggested section relating to Safeguarding Children (doc format, 27KB)
- Refer to part 2 in the Teachers' Pay and Conditions document
- Primary and Nursery Heads salary range 2013 (pdf format, 41KB)
- Secondary Heads salary range 2013 (pdf format, 38KB)
Covering letter and details of Oxfordshire
- Example of covering letter to applicant (doc format, 34KB)
- Taking up Headship in Oxfordshire 2014 (pdf format, 23KB)
- Advertising Online - advice for governors (pdf format, 14KB)
- Examples of adverts (pdf format, 447KB)
Dates and selection panel planning
- Interview panel preparation checklist (pdf format, 20KB)
- Headteacher recruitment dates planning tool (doc format, 15KB)
Keeping the school community informed
Examination of applications
"Reference requests Please note these must NOT ask for information about attendance or ill-health"
Linking selection criteria to activities
Planning the day
Examples of questions
- Example of leaders and management panel questions and recording sheet (doc format, 45KB)
- Example of a data analysis exercise (doc format, 120KB)
- Example of recording sheet for data analysis exercise (doc format, 15KB)
- Example of an intray exercise (pdf format, 189KB)
- Example of presentation observation and recording sheet (doc format, 36KB)
- Summative assessment grid (doc format, 16KB)
After the appointment at interview
- Example of letter from Chair of Governors offering appointment (doc format, 26KB)
- Example of letter from Chair of Governors for unsuccessful candidates (doc format, 25KB)
Informing the school community
- Letter to staff after an appointment is made (doc format, 29KB)
- Letter to pupils and parents after an appointment is made (doc format, 26KB)