For more information about other SENSS teams please refer to our local offer pages.
What’s important to us (our values)
We work in partnership to secure good outcomes and a positive future for children and young people with Down's Syndrome and complex needs.
Our aim is that children and young people with Down's Syndrome and complex needs make good progress, achieve well and enjoy school, family and community life.
What we do
- Support, advise and empower staff in schools and settings to understand the needs of children and young people with Down's Syndrome and complex needs.
- Provide assessment and advice in relation to the child / young person’s Down's Syndrome and complex needs.
- Ensure that the views, wishes, perspectives and experiences of the children and young people are fully reflected in their provision.
- Support children and young people to develop a positive understanding of their own Down's Syndrome and complex needs.
Who we offer this service to
We work with children and young people with:
- Down's Syndrome and complex needs from when they start nursery or reception at their local school.
SENSS staff work hard, in partnership with schools and families, to ensure that children with SEND are well supported. In doing this they are entitled to respect. SENSS will not tolerate rudeness or any behaviour toward staff that undermines them and we request that staff are treated with respect at all times. Thank you for your support in this.
How and when we do it
- We are a service which is available during school term time.
- We work primarily in schools.
- The team comprises specialist advisory teachers.
- We work closely with SENCOs, class teachers, teaching assistants and other support staff in schools.
- We liaise closely with families and we work collaboratively with other agencies involved with the child.
- We provide advice, support and interventions.
- We offer a range of training from individual training around a child’s needs to whole school and area based specialist courses to support continuing professional development
Supporting people with:
- Hearing impairment, Learning difficulty, Communication impairment
- Referral required?
- Referral and availability notes
Referrals can be made:
- SENSS Downs and Complex Needs Team referral form (docx format, 145Kb)
- Direct from health colleagues
- Via professionals through the universal early years referral system known as SPORFI (Single Point of Request for Information)
- From schools
- Parents/carers can contact the service for advice
We respect the need for confidentiality and the responsible and informed sharing of personal information. If there are concerns regarding a child’s safety we would, having, where possible, initially identified our concerns with the parents/ carers, liaise with Social Care in accordance with Oxfordshire’s Safeguarding Children procedures. https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/content/report-child-abuse
Comments and Complaints
If you wish to make a comment, give a compliment or make a complaint about the service, please contact SENSS by any of these phone numbers (SENSS Central - 01865 323070, SENSS South - 01865 323070 or SENSS North - 01865 816970) and ask to speak to a senior manager.